Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Struggles of a newly published author

I'm new to publishing. Not new to writing. I've been writing since I was twelve years old. I've begun and edited countless stories, but never finished them. Now as a self published author, I can say I've published my first, well second book. My first book was published my Alma Mater; a short piece of fiction for my Master's thesis.

I must say, I'm happy to have the book finished and out on Amazon. But my idea of writing had always included working with a publishing company who would market my work for me. Now I'm not only the writer and editor I'm also the publisher and marketing department.

I understand with Kindle and Amazon's self publishing tools that the market has been saturated, and as voracious reader I've taken advantage of many of the free books on Kindle, I must say I've read books that most likely would never have caught a publisher's attention.

There is good talent out there. Not all will go on to be best sellers, and I include myself in that category. I believe I'll do well as an author, but let's face it, I know I'm not John Grisham or Nora Roberts. But I am a good writer and can tell a good story. So check out my work.

But I digress. Marketing my book is one of the hardest things I've had to do. I write so I can hide behind characters and not have to sell myself. But here I am talking about me as a person, a writer. So far it isn't that bad, and I'm sure I'll get better as time goes on.

So bear with me. Take the time to find my book and look for more stories soon.

Oh, and I'll be back to confess my struggles in my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment